How To Set Holiday Hours: Prepping for July 4th and More!
Independence day is less than a week away and if you’re like most of us, you’re looking forward to fireworks, spending time with friends and family, and delicious BBQ. The last thing on your mind is notifying your customers of your updated hours for the holiday.
Failing to update your hours for the holidays can result in the loss of customers. 73% of consumers say they lose trust in a company if their listing information is incorrect. A holiday is no exception for listing inaccurate hours.
How to update your hours for holidays:
Google has made it super easy to update your hours for the holidays. You can set special hours in advance without disrupting your normal hours. Even if you will be open during normal hours for the holiday, it’s recommended that you still set special hours to avoid confusion. If you forget to set special hours, Google users will see a warning that your hours may be different for the holiday.
How to Set your Google My Business Special Hours:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- If you have multiple locations, open the location you’d like to manage.
- Click the Special hours section.
- Click Confirm hours next to an upcoming holiday. Or click Add new date to choose a different date.
- Enter the opening and closing times for that day.
- Slide the circle to “Closed” to indicate that the location is closed all day.
- If you’re open 24 hours, click Opens at and select 24 hours from the dropdown menu that appears.
- If you enter closing hours past midnight, make sure to set them properly.
- When you’ve finished entering all of your special hours, click Apply. Your special hours will appear to customers on Google only for the designated days.
Yelp also allows you to set up special business hours. When you set special hours on Yelp, your hours will be posted with a notice letting customers know these are special hours, not your standard hours.
- Login to the Yelp for Business app.
- Go to Business Information and select Special Hours.
- You can mark your business as closed for the day or open during a window of time. Special hours are set on a day-by-day basis, so add each day where your operating hours will be different from the hours regularly listed on Yelp.
Facebook has yet to allow users to set up holiday hours independent of their regular hours. You can, however, adjust your regular hours at any time.
How to adjust your hours on Facebook:
- Click About on the left side of your Page.
- Click Edit Page Info.
- Click the Hours tab at the top.
- Add your hours and click Save Changes.
If you don’t see an Hours section, you may need to change your Page’s category.
Facebook also recommends you add a post to notify followers of your updated hours. You can pin the post to the top of your page during the holidays.
Setting holiday hours in Bing is pretty simple. When you set Special Hours in Bing, your listing will be highlighted in green to notify customers of your special hours for the day.
- Login to bingplaces.com.
- Click on your business name.
- Select the “EDIT” button next to your business name.
- Click the “Next” button until you get to the section that displays your hours.
- Click the checkbox next to: “Yes, I want to provide working hours for special days.”
- Add your holiday hours. If your business is closed make sure to check the box for “Closed”. Click “Next” and then “Submit” when you are finished.
What to do when you need to set holiday hours for multiple locations?
Updating the hours for more than one location can take hours. Other than Google, there isn’t a strong option for making bulk changes to your special hours on the other listing sites. You can add special hours in Google via a spreadsheet upload but it’s still time consuming and can take up to 3 days for Google to approve your changes. Attempting to make bulk changes to the hours for all your locations can get messy and may result in the loss of customers or worse, your listing could become unverified. An estimated $10.3 billion worth of sales are lost every year because of inaccurate listing information.
Celebrate Listing Freedom with Chatmeter
Managing multiple listings can be overwhelming. With Chatmeter’s Listing Management services, you can manage thousands of locations from within a single dashboard. Our platform gives you the option to update the hours for multiple listings down to 15-minute increments and lets you make changes to multiple or single locations across every major listing site all at once. Want to see how it works? Request a free demo.
Consumers rely on local listings to give them accurate information about a business regardless of holidays. 2 out 3 consumers who use local search are looking to make a purchase the same day. If you’re open on the holidays, make sure your customers know that. If you’re closed for the holiday, update your listings to include special hours so consumers don’t lose trust in your business.
Have a question about listing management? Comment below, we’d love to help!