In today’s day and age it pays to have your business online because that is where your customers are. Beginning to create your online presence can be very intimidating, especially the different language that has to do with online marketing. When I first started at Chatmeter as an intern I had one window open to articles that I was reading and another one open up to Google so I could look up any terms I did not know, which was the inspiration for this blog. Here is page of terms that I had to look up when I first started to dive in to online reputations.
Terms that relate to SEO:
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization: Making your website more visible to search engines to increase your ranking in the results
- SERP: Search Engine Results Page: The results of a keyword inquiry by a search engine.
- CMS: Content Management Systems: A system used to manage and create information in an organization that allows for easy entry, retrieval, collaboration. Also minimizes duplicate entries and information for gathering reports.
- Title Tag: The tag that appears on top of the web browser that gives the title of the page that is being viewed. Also a very important part in Search Engine Optimization.
- Meta Description: Is the description given in a search engine results page to describe the listed links.
- Meta Keywords: Keywords that describe the content of a web page to a search engine.
- Keywords: are the words that describe the premise of a website.
- Black Hat SEO: devious tactics of manipulating search engines to think a site is relevant to many unrelated keywords. Frowned upon and penalized by search engine algorithms.
- White Hat SEO: accepted tactics in optimizing a web site to be found by search engines.
- Ranking: the position where a website is listed on a search engine results page.
- Website Optimization: setting up a website using various techniques to have increase its potential for being seen by search engines.
- SEM: Search Engine Marketing: a form of online marketing that provides visibility through optimization of a website and targeted paid ads placed on search engine result pages.
- Keyword Optimization: Strategically placing select words on a website in order to be seen as more relevant to a search engine keyword inquiry.
- Link Building: is a SEO tactic that links a website to another website.
General online marketing terms:
- Online Reputation: what others think an entity represents online.
- Online Presence: The act of being online in some form of content.
- Online review management: finding and processing review found on multiple review sites.
- Website Analytics: is a picture of how much traffic a website receives, where the traffic is coming from, what that traffic did while visiting the site, and how long that traffic was on the site for.
- Bounce Rate: The number of visitors that where directed to the website and exited right away.
- BLOG: is an entry to a website where the author offers specific content about a subject. Includes but not limited to news, opinions, information, pictures, and videos.
- Track online reviews: processing where reviews are coming from and if they are good or bad reviews.
- Content Marketing: creating stories, news, or asking question in order to engage and convert a customer base
- SMB: Small to Medium Businesses
- Guerilla Marketing: an unconventional way to promote a brand or product.
- PPC: Pay Per Click: A type of online advertising where the entity taking out the ad only pays when someone clicks on the ad.
- CPM: Cost Per Impression: A type of online advertising where the entity taking out the ad pays per 1000 of impressions. An impression is when the ad is shown on a website when a consumer is logged on to that sight.
- CRM: Customer Relationship Management: Is how a company handles and maintains its contact and rapport with its customers
For tips on what tools to use for Search Engine Optimization take a look at our previous blog: Local Search Marketing and SEO Tools / Services